1. Bake and Freeze the Cake
2. Fabulous Frosting
3. Helpful Tools
A decorating spatula, food coloring, and icing bags with couplers and a few decorating tips are all you really need. These can be ordered on Amazon or picked up at most craft stores.
4. Decorate the Cake Like a Pro
- Place the frozen cake on a pretty cake stand.
- Spread frosting on the middle layer. I usually go around the edge with the frosting bag to make a bigger edge so the filling won’t push through the sides of the cake.
- Add the filling of your choice. Our favorite is mixed berries we’ve picked over the summer and frozen. I blend them up with some homemade strawberry jam and it tastes like a spoonful of summer!
- Place the other cake on top.
- Secure it by pushing a few toothpicks into the cake. (Whoever finds the toothpicks does the dishes!)
- Finish frosting the sides and top. You can make the frosting smoother by dipping your decorating spatula in warm water and lightly sliding it over the frosting.
- Add your trim in the same color or a fun color to add a pop to your cake.
- Put your candles or a topper on it and your birthday cake is complete!
5. Adding the Extras for the Wow Factor