Ahhhh, fall. My favorite season! I can smell it in the air just after a rain or in the cool of the evening, I see it as the hills are sprinkled with color, and I taste it in a million pumpkin-spiced products at every coffee shop and bakery!
The Willamette Valley may be lush and green throughout the year from our mild temperatures and copious amounts of rainfall, but it also bursts to life in colors, smells, and tingling mist and fog, making autumn in the Northwest one of the best places on earth to get out and enjoy all that the season offers!
To get you started, here is a list of 35 things you must do in our area these next three months…
Grab a pint and practice your polka at Oaks Park or Mt. Angel
- End of summer sales
Everything summer-y is on sale right now. Stock up for next year at the mall, Freddies, Target or even at a consignment sale!
- Gorge on pumpkin-spiced everything
From coffee to waffles, this is the month where people make everything pumpkin-spiced!
- Apple picking and cider squeezing, oh my!
- Bird migration watching
Many know about the Swifts in the chimneys in Portland, but did you know there is more bird watching this time of year at the Fernhill Wetlands in Forest grove?
It’s a beautiful time to take a weekend hike! Try one of these PMB family-approved hikes!
- Run a race
With the temperatures cooling, there are some great upcoming runs in Portland and the surrounding areas! Check out Running in the USA for the largest list!
- The Fruit Loop
- Take in a sporting event
Hops are waning, but Timbers are kicking off, and soon it will be Blazer season!
- Find out where to go to admire the colors on the fall foliage blog
- Go on a beer tour
Whether it’s a walking, cycling, driving, or even boating tour, there’s a lot of ways to hit up the local breweries this fall!
- Star gaze with the Rose City Astronomers
- Sunday Park Days!
- Mmmmm…Apple and cider festival!
- Get an early start on Halloween costume shopping
- Hit up a pumpkin patch…there are A LOT
- Get a sitter and check out this hard cider festival
- Kick leaves. Rake them into a pile, and kick them again!
- Get some inspiration at the Fall Home and Garden Show
- Many people only go to the Grotto during the holiday lights, but it’s BEAUTIFUL in the fall, too!
- Take a lovely drive out to the Oregon coast
- Go to the zoo
There are lots of seasonal fun things planned for the animals to celebrate fall, as well as a fun Howloween celebration!
- Take a Willamette Valley wine tour
- Haunted Houses
Leave the littles and scaredy cats at home, and get freaked out at these goulish fun houses
- Don’t forget to take the costumed kids Trick-or-Treating. Try these PMB alternatives to going door-to-door!
- Visit a craft fair or bazaar
There are many, amazing holiday bazaars this time of year from America’s Largest to the Harvest Moon, and every one in between. Got a favorite or a place that lists them all? Please leave in the comments!
- Eat some sausage
- Give back
Tis the season of giving! Use this list for a great start.
- Go to a Veterans Day parade
- Catch a show at the Keller Auditorium
- Tour the beautiful Pittock Mansion during their Symbols of the Season
- Bundle up, stroll around and explore the shopping and food scene of the Pearl District
- Watch the Oregon Civil War Game in person on the 26th
- Drive through Winter Wonderland at PIR
- Get ready for Christmas
Even before Thanksgiving, everyone is gearing up for the biggest holiday with tree lightings, Santa meet n’ greets, and much much more. It’s been a great fall, now let it snow!